August 16th, 2011-A day I never imagined coming so quickly...Rilyn's first day of kindergarten. The morning went well...got up, ate breakfast, picked out our first kindergarten outfit, and out the door we went (after a couple quick shots). We arrived at school right before 8 am and after purchasing hot lunches, we headed to Mrs. Thompson's classroom. We were the first to arrive. Rilyn unloaded her first of the year supplies, hung up her bag and was ready to say good bye. But I wasn't....I hung out for a few minutes, took a couple more pictures, stood behind Rilyn as she sat at an activity table. Kids and parents began filing in, the room getting more crowded. Parents began leaving and I realized I too needed to leave. I had worried that Rilyn would have a hard time seeing me go, but like so many ready for school, it's usually the parents that have a hard time leaving. It isn't because we don't trust the school, or the teacher, but because walking out the doors means walking into a new phase in our child's life and saying good bye to the previous. A new phase means that Rilyn is growing up. That she will continue to grow up. And while I can't wait to see her develop independence, discover herself, and learn all about the gifts God has given her, at the same time I just didn't want to leave my baby. I worry whether she will fit in, whether she will follow the rules, make new friends, learn to problem solve. I want the world for her, yet I want to hold her in my arms forever. I just cannot believe how fast the last 4+ years have gone. It's a constant reminder of how the following years will zip by.
So while Rilyn had a moment of leg clinging this morning as she hugged me good bye and watch the room fill, it was only momentarily...she let go...and my eyes welled up with tears...tears of joy at who she has become and some tears of sadness. But I know she will do amazing this year and she already can't wait to go back tomorrow!
Cousins
We hope you have a great time in kindergarten Rilyn!
ReplyDeleteAnd Jessie, those were beautiful words that you wrote. Made me get tears in my eyes again today.
So sweet! I loved what you wrote. It is so hard to let our babies go!
ReplyDeleteI know Rilyn will love Kindergarten!!